These are the main principles that I use with my students in the EMS3O media studies class:
1. All mass media have business interests.
2. All mass media have an intended target audience.
3. All mass media have codes and conventions.
4. All mass media construct reality.
5. All mass media contain values, beliefs, and ideologies.
6. All mass media convey messages. Some of these messages are explicit, while others are implicit. Unintended messages are very often part of the messages’ structure.
7. A new mass media technology will initially borrow the content and imitate the conventions of the mass medium that is currently dominant in a society. As the technology advances, the new medium will consume the older medium, turning it into content.